Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Shining Star

Sipping his last peg of vodka, Akshay said," Guys, I am in love". What followed was a roar of laughter from his friends.HAHAHAHAHHAHA.
"Dude, guess you are really drunk". one guy said. Another roar followed. This time the decibel levels were even higher.
"Guys, I know I am drunk. But what I am saying is true. 200 %. I swear."
"OK ..dude...we believe you. Whos the girl?", Rob asked.
"Nivedita!" , Akshay replied with a smile on his face.
--------

Next day at the canteen, Rob asked, "Akki, do you know what you said yesterday?"
Rob was Akshay's very good friend. Infact one of the very close friends he had. He knew what was happening in Akki's life and was always there with him in good as well as bad times.
"uhhh....", Akshay tried hard to remember. "Nivedita!!......" Rob replied as if giving a hint.
"Oh Shit!!!! ......Did I really say so ? ...NO way dude.....I was drunk ...It must have slipped....I possible cant....Couldnt....." , Akshay said clearing things.

"Dude, there is a saying --people say the truth when they are drunk. All the secrets from their hearts leak out. And I know you dude, I could see the love in your eyes for her.....Cmon
dude....She loves you too..." Rob explained.

"STOP!! Mann...STOP!!" ,Akshay interrupted him. "You know I possibly cant. Not after all that has happened to me."

"Look at me", Rob ordered Akshay. "Now, tell me honestly, DO you love her?"
There was silence. After some time, he replied " YES".

"Well, then cmon dude, why didnt you tell her then when she had proposed to you? And why dont you tell her now, that you do love her!!". Akshay was silent. Rob continued.

"Listen buddy, whatever happened was in the past. Get over it. Look as if its a new
beginning. If you love her, tell her." Rob said.

"No, yaar, I cant....Cmon ..you know what I went through. Its true that I love Nivedita. I know she loves me too. But I dont think I would be able to...you know pull it off this time as well. What do you think Rob? DO you think I can pull this one off? Ahhh ...No...No...No way dude. Its spooky. I dont think I am ready for another relationship. I would prefer being single."
"Listen dude", Rob said. "You know what your problem is. You are so afraid of being hurt that you are going to end up all alone.!! Probably some time in the future, you would realise that you missed a chance. A chance to have forgotten the past. A chance to have started something new with someone who loves you. A chance to be happy for the rest of you life..."
Rob continued with his talk. He could see Akki listening with full alert. He could see the confidence seeping inside him.
===========================

Nivedita was sitting in her balcony. Her roomates were not at home. She was alone. She was on her favourite place there...the swing. She was reading a book. But her concentration was somewhere else. She was thinking about Akshay.
She remembered the day she had proposed to him and how he didnt say a YES, neither did
he say a NO and how all he said was ," I am not ready ".She loved him very much. She just couldnt love anyone else now.

Lost in her thoughts, she got disturbed by her mobile ring. "Akshay Calling".
She gets startled. "Hello", she says.
"Hi Nivi. There is something I wanted to tell you. Will you come down?" , Akshay said.
"Uhh, Down?...where are you? ", she enquired.
"Look below" was the reply leaving Nivedita to peep over the balcony.
She saw Akshay there. "Coming", she said running down.
Akshay had meanwhile started climbling the 3-storeyed building. They met on the stairs. 2nd floor.

"HI", Akshay said. 'HI' was the reply.
"These are for you", Akshay handed the white daisies. Nivedita loved daisies.

She looked up after admiring the flowers. There were a lot of things going on in her head. Questions after questions were popping. Before she could say anything, Akshay spoke.
"I have been thinking about you Nivi. Thinking a lot. No matter how hard I tried to neglect and prevent your thoughts from coming into my head, I just couldnt stop them. Everytime, everyplace, everywhere I go, you are always there right there in my thoughts, my dreams. When you told me the other day that you loved me, I felt very happy, but my past came haunting me. It was not that I didnt love you. It was just that I was afraid. I was not afraid of loving, I was afraid of loosing you."
Nivedita listened with complete calmness.
"I have lost the ones I loved, Nivedita", he started again. "I was so scared of this darkness
in love, that I stopped to search for the stars anymore. And thats why I decided to live my life on my own. Without love, ignorant of the fact that you were shining over me all this while. But now ....I realised that I am not afraid anymore!! I am not scared of getting hurt anymore!!"
"I love you", he ended after a pause.

Nivedita couldnt stop her tears from rolling out. "I love you too", she replied.
"Hmmm...I know" , Akshay winked hugging her.

No comments: