Thursday, May 24, 2007

THE THINGS

Hey folks...

Dont we all love people who are close to us. Dont we miss them when they go away,are separated or maybe taken away from us. I think we all do.

Well apart from the living entities, many of you might have a special attachment to "things". Non-living ones but very close to the hearts. It could be anything.The pair of levi jeans you got on your thirteenth birthday, the compass box you used to use for many years in your school, the watch your father gifted you when you joined high school, the cool shades your hostel mates gave on your birthday, the white shirt your girlfriend gave you, anything!!
Things like these are very close to the heart and you woudnt want to bargain them away for any price in the world.

Now what happens if "things" like these are lost or are taken away from you. It hurts dosent it.
Well, thats what happened to Sunil.

---------------------
" Do I have to come ma?", Sunil asked in a lazy tone.
"Yes beta, I had told once you got your job, we would visit the Ganesh Mandir across the street. I had asked mannat for you. You have to give a coconut and 500Rs to the temple."
"500 bucks!!!", Sunil exclaimed. "Ma, I work in a s/w company. They dont pay me so much that I can afford to give 500bucks to a temple."
"SHUT UP, with what grades you got, I didnt expect you get a job anywhere. It was due to my prayers and the blessings of Ganesh that you got this job.", mom argued.
Sunil thought it was wise to end the conversation then and there.


The temple was crowded as usual."Why cant these people stay at home and pray. Whatever happened to the omnipresency of GOD!" Sunil wondered.

It was not that he did not believe in GOD. BUt he didnt feel the so called process of
bargaining with GOD did any good. "Dear God you give me this and I will do that". He hated it.


Come fast the "aarti" is going to start., mom screamed. He removed his shoes and followed his mom quitely.Sunil was quite happy with the "crowd" inside. His eye balls had to do a lot of exercise, but it was worth it. No wonder guys come to temple, he thought.He tried to put away the distractions and concentrate on praying. After giving the coconut and 500 bucks ( the giving of the latter was quite a tough task ). Sunil almost closed his eyes when the pandit took it, infact grabbed it with his hungry eyes well coordinated with his eyes. "Wish the Indian cricket team, had such a great hand-eye coordination!!." Sunil thought .

25 min later they were on their way out. The girl ahead of them was wearing a white salwar with a black duppata. "Why cant girls like these end up in my company." he thought.
Sunil finally managed to control his feelings and bent his head down.


"SHOES!!, my shoes"!!", he shouted. Where are they??"His mom came to THE SPOT of crime. They looked everywhere but in vain. They asked the gaurd outside. He too didnt have any clue.

Sunil went into flashback.

"Dude, check these out." Alex has told him in a Reebok store.
"Sexyyyyyyyyy!!" Sunil had said turning them to find the price tag."Rs.2400"
"Damn, they are too costly.", Sunil said.
"Dude, original, sexy , one of a kind. they will look awesome on any jeans, will go with any color, check out the sole, feel the thickness, try wearing them atleast." , said Alex.
"How much did that salesman bribe you?", Sunil questioned him.
"BIG F&#@", You brought me along to HELP you choose right, I am HELPING!!. You want my help, take it.Or else lemme go check that chick in the other store.", Alex was angry.
"There is no harm trying", Sunil said putting them on.

Back to the present.

Sunil saw his mom getting into a fight with the gaurd outside. Before she could pull his hair off, Sunil controlled her and said,"Lets go ma".

Back at home, Ma was feeling terrible."My mistake, I should not have forced you. Why did you have to wear shoes to the temple though. God curse that fellow who.....blah blah blah".

"MOM. its OK!!", Sunil said trying to bring back sanity to her mind.

That night, he thought. "Why did I not feel bad? Should I feel bad or not.?" Well I had worn them for a year now, could have used them for another. Ya, they were special. The first thing I bought with my own salary. Yes they were special. God damn that person who took it. But why did this have to happen to me. Was God punishing him for not getting ready willingly to pay for the "bargain" his mom had made without his knowledge? Or was it the punishment for eyeing that girl instead of looking at him? Aah whatever. They are gone now and there is no way they are going to come back. Will need to buy a new pair tomorrow. Probably Nike.But I will miss them. They were special."

----------------------

So you see, we do feel bad when some "things" are taken away from us.
Things that are special.
Things that are close to the heart.

Things that are irreplacable.

I am sure many of you might have gone through such situations. If you have not, I will pray you dont. Coz it hurts.

1 comment:

Chirag Khara said...

Hey Sudz...tell me...was this Sunil you?
If so its really funny...really..!!

Well amazingly... i had a kind of an incident where i lost 2 beautiful sensors that cost me more than 400 Rs; in a Robotic competition in your Thadomal college.
I was explaining how our autonomous robot would work wonders to some beautiful gals who were paying visit to the competition, and sombody had slunked away with my priced sensors and a few other things. :((

Well even though it was shocking...but i dont regret loosing them that much...maybe because of the wonderful time i spent explaining those girls about "my masterpiece[;-)]". :)

Well I really did not remember this incident....but your story today made me suddenly remember how i had lost those precious sensors. :)

Hats-off to you for that. :)