Monday, May 28, 2007

LONG LASTING HOPE

I woke up early on Christmas morning and couldn’t believe my eyes. There were no soldiers on the road, no tanks and guns, no sound of bombings. After 5 long years would I have a real Christmas …. I wondered. Yes it was 5 years ago that it all started, when my world came crumbling around me…….Its so tough to erase those memories. Memories which keep haunting me over and over again.

Dec 24 2006. 10:00PM.


"Hey,...they have arrested Cedric." said Paul slamming the door behind him as he charged inside the house."And they have started attacking the houses now"
"Oh....No.", my mom let out a scream. "Calm down Ma..." I said hugging her. "They will kill him too just like they killed your father", mom said eyes soaking wet.

My father, Mr.Smith, was a political advisor under the government of President Fisher. The military revolt by General Stan led to the killing of not only the President but also those loyal to him. My father being one of them.The huge outcry and criticism against the General from countries around the world forced the UN to send its military aid to the present government in overcoming the General's military power.This led to the firings,bombings and the killings....largely of innocents. The people, especially youths could not take it any longer. They took to the streets, protesting against the General. Many were shot dead then and there on the roads. Few were arrested and tortured to death.


Mom's reason to cry for Cedric was understandable.
It had been 3 years....3 years of unstability....3 years of unsurity that if you step outside the house will you be back again...3 years of cries...3 years of pain....3 years of turmoil....3 years of hell....

"We need to get out of here, quick." said Paul."There are buses waiting at the Fountain. We have been asked to evacuate the city as soon as possible."

It was dark and cold outside. The whole place seemed to be in ruins. People running helter skelter.We were nearing the Fountain, when we heard someone shouting.."They are here...they are here" Behind him we saw tanks and military personnel charging towards the city square.


The people were not going to be cowed down. Many started opposing the charge. Stones were the only weapons they had.But the bullets were far more powerful. The military seemed heartless, shooting innocent people on sight. Where was the UN army when we needed them.?

"Quick mom,get in the bus" I said pushing mom inside through the door into which many others were trying to rush in.

"Where is your brother", mom said catching a seat near the window. I looked outside through the cracked window glass searching for Paul.

Paul had joined the crowd. A strange kind of madness seemed to have engulfed him."You wait here, I will go get him."I rushed outside leaving my mom screaming the word wait many times. But I couldn't loose him. My father gone, my elder brother gone.Couldn't loose Paul.
I hurried towards him. "Paul, lets go...the bus would be leaving soon."

"YOU GO...take mom to a safer place...away from this hell."

"SHUT UP...and come with me....mom's worried."

"I can't...they killed my dad, snatched my brother, destroyed my country. I can't run away like a coward."Paul grabbed up a handful of stones and started pelting them towards the advancing soldiers.

Just then, the tank fired. There was a huge explosion behind us.Both of us turned around shocked.

"MOM!!!....said Paul running towards the bus.

It took me a while to realize what had happened. I ran behind Paul. Nothing....nothing was left behind. Bodies charred so badly that it was hard to recognize the body parts leave alone the faces.

"Mom...Mom.."Paul broke down trying to identify her among the debris. I was too shocked to cry. My tear glands seemed to have frozen up.Paul got up. There was blood in his eyes. He once again grabbed a handful of stones, and started running towards the soldiers. I did not stop him. I couldn't.

The tanks fired yet again and so did the guns. Paul was on the ground motionless. I knew he was dead, no one could survive from such a close range.

My mouth went dry, my limbs went numb. I was too shocked to react. I didn't know how to react. But then I felt it. A tear drop emerging out of the corner of my eye and making its way down the cheek wiping away some of the dust and leaving a track behind for others to follow.

I bent down and grabbed a few stones myself and charged towards them with full rage along with many others who had lost their kin in the bus explosions.

I don't know what happened after that, but I found myself on the ground, blood oozing from my leg. I had been shot... to survive. Another way of torture I suppose. I was facing the stars, when the clock at the City Tower went DING DONG.

It was 12:00 pm. It was Christmas.

"Merry Christmas everyone" I murmured before falling unconscious.

I was put behind bars for 1 whole year. The UN army was finally victorious. I was released.

I had lost practically everything except hope.It was with this that I had to gather pieces and make a new start, a new journey, a new life....which I did.

Today is a different day. Today is a different Christmas.
"Daddy..Daddy..did Santa get me the bicycle I want", my daughter came running towards me."Hmmm...don't know...did u have a sock big enough for the cycle to fit in.??", I replied leaving my wife giggling in the kitchen."No." said she replied innocently."Well then maybe Santa just left it outside.""Yippee..!!" she said running out of the door.

Yes, today was a real Christmas.

No comments: