Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Second Proposal

The night was dark.
The air was cold.
The mood was bad.

It was just like any other day at work and Rashmi was doing what she did best - lots of "hardly" work, Sitting in her office, in her cubicle, her eyes looking at the computer screen in front, her mind was wandering all around the globe of her thoughts. Her beautiful journey was suddenly interupted by "Chin ta ta chita chita chinta ta ta" ringtone coming out from her cell.
 

"Hello" she said sharply, angry to be woken up from her daydream.
"Hello", a voice on the phone said. 


A simple commonly used word by many - Hello. Rashmi must have heard it a million times before from many different people. But this "hello" was different even though she felt she had heard it before. It made her heart beat in a way that no other "hello" has ever done before. It was like a magic spell of time travel throwing her back into another world. A world that had been destroyed yet living somewhere deep inside her.

"Kevin??", she replied slowly, almost pinching herself a little, not able to believe.
"Heyyyyy... Rashmi", Kevin replied.
"Kevvvviiiinnnnn...OMG...how r u doing...", Rashmi was overjoyed, feeling her heart beating twice as fast as before.

Only a few days back Rashmi was furious when his thoughts had brushed her mind. It had been years that they had talked or met. Kevin had not bothered to reply to her mails nor calls and she had decided never to reach out to him again. And now this. Just hearing his voice, made her smile, made her happy. The happiness that had eluded her for years. Her brain was suddenly flooded with all the moments spent with him. All those wonderful memories. Those eyes, that smile, his touch. That "Real" happiness everyone wishes for, that "real" love everyone longs for.

"I am doing fine. I landed in Delhi yesterday. Actually, I was fighting with myself whether to call you or not and I lost the fight and here I am speaking to you.", Kevin said without taking a breath.

"Okayy .. hmmmm .."she replied feeling strangely happy. 
"So...how have u been doing. Hope I am not disturbing you", Kevin said almost laughing.
Rashmi laughed back.
"Why are you laughing?", he asked.
"Why are youuuu laughing?, she replied back laughing even more loudly.

It was weird. Years had passed since their breakup but still it felt that nothing had changed. Rashmi remained quiet after controlling her laughter nerves. She was feeling happy for some known or unknown reason.

"This is weird right" ,Kevin continued. "I mean I never expected we would be laughing like this when we talk. I always felt that there is a bit of awkwardness when ex-s meet or talk after long time".

"Hmmm...well.. to be honest, even I am surprised. I was really angry with you for just walking out of my life like that. But now when I am hearing your voice, I dunno why all that anger and hatred towards you just evaporated." Rashmi replied.

"Hmmmm .." , was the only sound Kevin could make. "I am sorry Rashmi for giving up on you", he said after a moment of silence. "But hope you understand why".

"yaaaaa... lets not go into that now", Rashmi replied. "So tell me how have you been doing, how is work and everything"

"Dont change the subject Rashmi. I am trying to say something. Please hear me out. ", Kevin raised his voice a little.

"What do you want to say Kevin ? That you loved me once and then suddenly realised that nothing was going to work out, so you decided to just stop loving, walk out of my life as if everything would be fine. You had even mentioned it that dont worry time will heal everything. But NO kevin, it has not. My wounds are still open and your thoughts keep reopening them all the time. Time has passed, but I am still thinking about you even though now I should not", Rashmi paused.

" Even I still think about you Rashmi. I dont know why but no matter who I am with, I do not feel the same way I feel, when I am with you. There is something there which is binding us together Rashmi and that is why even after so many years, I still feel that as if it was only yesterday since I last spoke to you. Why does this happen. Coz i realised..... ", Kevin said without a pause.

Rashmi was silent, waiting to hear what he was got to say next.

"Coz i realised that the only thing in this world that really matters to me is you Rashmi.", Kevin replied slowly.

Rashmi was quiet. She didnt know wat to say. After an awkard silence, Kevin spoke again.

"Can we meet?", he replied almost begging in a way. Rashmi wanted to say No, but something inside her really wanted to see him. 

"I will be free in an hour", she replied not anwering in a yes or a no. 
"Ok, will come to pick you up outside your office.", he replied.
"Wait, do you know where I work now?", she replied surprised.
"I did my research... as always", Kevin replied with a smile.

An hour later, they were in a restaurant, close to Rashmi's house having dinner and listening to live romantic gazals being played out. Waiting for the food, talking about all the old moments they had shared together, and all the new things that happened in their lives in the past many years, laughing ocassionaly, smiling sometimes, just looking into each other eyes, having so much to say, but not finding words. They knew that there was something, some connection which made them feel, the way they felt, for each other. Its a rare feeling. Its like two souls talking to each other. Its divine.

Rashmi wondered why Kevin was back in her life and instead of being angry or staying away from him, why was she sitting with him having dinner. Deep inside she knew that no matter what happened, she would always love only one person and that is Kevin. She too never felt the same way for anyone else like she did for him. Perhaps fate had some plan in mind. Perhaps something interesting was going to happen in her life afterall. Perhaps she would still have a "lived happily ever after" moment soon. But then she was cautious. She didnt want to go into a dreamland so soon. She wanted to just take things as they came.

Kevin wondered how to tell Rashmi how he felt for her. It had been years, but he could never get over her. He came back for her, but would she accept him back. 


After having a lovely dinner and walking back home. It was cold. Rashmi replied, thank you, as Kevin made her wear his jacket. She felt good to be taken care of like this. Kevin realised that it was now or never.


As he stood with Rashmi below her society, Kevin looked straight into her eyes without saying a word.
"Kevin???", Rashmi replied with a smile looking straight back at him. He slowly stretched his hand and held her fingers gently.

"There is something I wanted to tell you for a really long time now. All this time, we were separate, I could never really let go of you. I thought about you each and every day, each and every moment. I tried my best not to, but I failed each and everytime.", he uttered slowly as Rashmi looked into his eyes.

"Now I dont really need to tell you this, but as they say sometimes words just need to be spoken out. There was a song once which said, that love cannot be expressed by lips, thats why in love eyes become the tounge. I knew that our eyes had already confessed what our heart desires were, but then saying it aloud and making it official was a big big committment to be made. I was scared of it, but not anymore. I know you already know this, but all i wanted to say was I love you very very much." Kevin said it ending with a smile. 

"Kevin ! ", Rashmi replied avoiding eye contact, not knowing what to say or how to react. "Are your proposing to me again.?", she replied finally with a calmness in her voice.

" Listen Rashmi. I may have said those 3 words to you already, but then that was then. There were some very important things that I wanted to say then but could not. And I need to tell it to you now before its too late. Now I dont know whether i love you truly, madly or deeply or whatever, but those are just words. All i know that when I look at you, my heart feels something inside it. I dont know how to describe that feeling, but its there. And i feel happy. What I really wanted to say was that
there are some things I want to do for the rest of my life, like
I just want to look at your face and keep looking.
I just want to see your smile.
I just want to look into those lovely eyes. If tears come in them, I want to drink them off before they fall to the ground and get wasted. They are precious. Everything about you is precious.
I just want to see you laugh like crazy, i want to make you laugh like crazy.
I want to get up everyday, see you next to me, sleeping peacefully in my arms.
I want to kiss you gently waking you up and when you smile at me, want to hug you tightly.
I want to see you get ready, put on your clothes, see you put on your daily makeup.
I want to watch you while you comb your wonderful hair, tilting your head at one side and then the next, smiling at me from the mirror, a little shy.
I want to hold your hand and go for long walks.
I want you to hold my arm near my elbow and rest your head on my shoulders.
I want to hold you in my arms and tell you each day how beautiful you are.
I want to hug you tightly and never let go.
If you are worried about something, I want to kiss you gently on your forehead and tell you everything is going to be okay.
I want to be there for you, by you, with you at all times.
I want to take care of you and make lots of babies with you. I want us to bring them up together till they finally stand on their own feet.
I want to see your hair turn grey slowly, want to watch you get fat and get wrinkles and become old, but still looking very pretty.
Then I want to wait with you, hold your hand, till life departs from my body. And before I leave this world, I want to wish and pray that if there is a next life, I get you back in it and I get to relive it all over again with you and only you. ",  Kevin replied speaking each sentence clearly and slowly.

Then he went on his knees, removed a ring and said "I Love you so very much and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Marry me ".

Rashmi had tears in her eyes already. She was laughing at the same time. 
"Yes", she replied as they hugged and kissed.

The night was dark.
The air was cold.
The mood was good.

No comments: